More Match Reports

22/09/07 Llandudno 17-27 Llangefni

Llandudno young guns gave league leaders Llangefni a hard fought and very physical match at Maes du Road. From the start the home side took the game to the visitors, showing them that they were capable of giving them as good a game as any South Wales club that they had met in previous seasons.

Early pressure gave them an early lead from a penalty by Rhodri Carlton Jones. The visitors hit back with a penalty of their own, only for the home side to respond when following a ruck just inside of their 22m area that lively scrumhalf Patrick Coy with his turn of pace left the visitors defence standing touching down near the posts for an easy conversion by RCJ. Llangefni showed that they are a quality side and always looked dangerous with ball in hand, and forced Llandudno into defensive errors giving away three converted penalties, they also managed from a kick ahead to score a converted try to take a halftime lead of sixteen points to ten.

The second half was a very bruising affair with no quarter being given by both sides and it eventually resulted in a number of yellow cards and two red cards being given by referee Ian Morris. Llangefni further increased their lead after a lineout there backs created space for their right wing to touchdown near the corner flag. Llandudno continued to cause the visitors problems particularly in lose play were the lively backrow of James Salt, Lewis Griffith and former Captain Kelvin Davies were always up in support of their backs, however it was Llangefni who scored next from a penalty.

The strength of the Llandudno play in the lose paid off, when a driving maul from outside of the Llangefni 22m area drove over there try line with replacement prop Euros Garmon being awarded the touchdown with RCJ adding the conversion. At this stage of play it looked as if the home side could get there first home win of the season as they threaten the visitors defence on numerous occasions but is Llangefni who held on and secured a win with a final converted penalty.

Man of the Match Patrick Coy.

22/10/07 Newtown 5-33 Llandudno

The 1st XV continued their winning ways by defeating Newtown last Saturday at a canter 5-33. Although it is true to say that Newtown are not the side they once were, Llandudno's blossoming young side showed cameos of what a special side they could be in the years to come. The only criticism would be that they did not put Newtown to the sword as efficiently as a more mature side would have done, but that will come with experience.

Llandudno were 12 nil up within seven minutes, with Simon Beards having exploited a well worked miss move in the centre, giving Llandudno an early 5 point edge. From the kick off Llandudno scored again when Rhodri Carlton Jones, broke the Newtown line to enable Gareth Coy to touch down under the posts setting up the conversion for Rhodri Carlton Jones. Newtown to their credit rallied well keeping Llandudno in their half for the next twenty minutes or so, before another mercurial break out, by Simon Beards in the centre, freed Pat Coy to scamper over for a try converted by Rhodri Carlton Jones.

Newtown's pack had been having an uncomfortable time for most of the afternoon and elected for uncontested scrums after 47 minutes. This tactic did not have the desired effect however, as three minutes later Lewis Griffith bounced a Newtown defender before obliging Rhodri Carlton Jones with the simplest of conversions under the posts for a 0-26 lead. On sixty minutes quick hands in midfield saw James Gregson come back inside to complete Llandudno's scoring at 0-33. Newtown were able to score a consolation five points a minute before full time, to secure some dignity.

Next week the 1st XV travel to Morriston in the Welsh Cup.

16/02/08 Llandudno 29-30 Denbigh

The Llandudno fans were treated to a thriller at Maesdu Rd Yesterday but this was tempered by a great deal of frustration as to the unfulfilled potential of such a talented crop of youngsters. As time moves on, no doubt this side will continue to improve and challenge for honours.

They started like a house on fire yesterday and looked as if they were going to blow Denbigh away. After 14 minutes skipper Mark Jones scored for Rhodri Carlton Jones to convert. Ten minutes later a second try should have been scored with the try line at the town’s mercy only for an incorrect decision not to pass, let Denbigh off the hook. It is likely that this would have opened a 14 point gap and the game, quite simply, would have been up for Denbigh.

They seemed however to gain heart from this error and 2 minutes later drove up the field forcing Llandudno to concede a penalty to make it 7-3. Denbigh by now were enjoying the lions share of the possession and touched down from a driving line out just on half time to turn round leading the game 7-8 Straight from the kick off they stretched their lead further with another unconverted try, 7-13.

On 51 the Denbigh outside half strolled through a half back/three-quarter defensive dog leg before unloading to the supporting centre who touched down under the post for a converted try to leave the Llandudno crowd shaking their heads at 7-20 A further penalty was added when an increasingly desperate Llandudno tried to run from defence but were caught holding on, moving the deficit to 7-23.

A set penalty move on 58 minutes saw the quite excellent Kelvin Davies crash over for an unconverted try after some intricate passing between Rhodri Carlton Jones and Nick Earlam. At 12-23 things were, perhaps, looking up. The Denbigh outside half however once again spotted the dog leg defence to score under the posts extending Denbigh’s lead to 12-30 after 63 minutes.

Llandudno looked dead and buried; but rallied superbly. On 67 minutes Tom Roberts touched down for an unconverted try to pull the town back to 17-30. 2 minutes later another fantastic break by Kelvin Davies opened up the Denbigh defence for Rhodri Carlton Jones to score and convert to reduce the deficit to 24-30.

Denbigh were wilting under the onslaught and buckled once more when Danny Barlow touched down on 79 minutes. The try made it 29-30 leaving Rhodri Carlton Jones with a touchline kick to secure the victory. Unfortunately he missed by the narrowest of margins, leaving Denbigh to celebrate their great escape. However this tremendous fight back secured 2 valuable bonus points for Llandudno for scoring 4 tries and being within 7 points of their victors.

01/03/08 Llandudno 64-12 Newtown

Newtown were all but dead and buried after just 12 minutes at Maesdu Road on Saturday with Llandudno having scored 5 converted tries to lead 33-0.

It was a blustery day and Llandudno were certainly putting the wind up Newtown as forwards and backs rampaged through their defence. But credit where credit is due Newtown never capitulated and fought on to the end.

The first try was scored by Kelvin Davies when he was on hand to touch down following a driving maul after 1 minute.4 minutes later a further driving maul saw veteran Mike Hughes break clear to gift Dave Davies (jnr.) a try.

Rugby Match

2 minutes on from that, the Llandudno team ran the length of the field interpassing brilliantly for Lloyd Griffith to score under the posts.On 11 minutes Nick Earlam snuck one against the head for Kelvin Davies to pick up and burst over for his second.One minute later Newtown knew the situation was irredeemable as Lloyd Griffith once again finished of an elegant interpassing move.

Stevie Lester and James Salt added salt to Newtown’s wounds by scoring a try a piece before half time to give Llandudno a 47-0 lead at the turn round.

Facing into the wind in the second half’ and with the game won, Llandudno took their foot off the pedal. There were however entertaining cameos. Danny Barlow (man of the Match) scored a brace and Gaz Coy added his name to the try scorers. Of the 10 tries scored Rhodri Carlton Jones converted 7 which was great kicking performance in such poor conditions.

Newtown replied with two tries one of which was converted.

23/03/08 Colwyn Bay 27-12 Llandudno

Colwyn Bay wrestled back the Alan Jennings Memorial Trophy from Llandudno on Saturday by completing the double at their Dinerth Road ground. They can count themselves somewhat fortunate however as their three of their four tries resulted from counterattacks brought about by some speculative kicking from Llandudno, who otherwise dominated much of the game.

It shows how little there is between the top six or seven teams, which bodes well for Llandudno’s young and developing team.

Colwyn Bay found themselves ahead after only 10 minutes, when a penalty was awarded for an infringement on the floor, which was dispatched for a 3-0 lead. Llandudno responded tremendously spinning the ball left and right running the large, but not particularly mobile, Colwyn Bay pack ragged. This resulted in tries for wingers James “Chin” Gregson (25 min.) and Simon Beards (31 min.), the latter being converted for a 3-12 lead.

Llandudno then proceeded to kick themselves into trouble inviting the Bay to counter attack for two converted tries on 36 and 40 minutes, to lead 17-12 at half time.

The second half started disastrously for Llandudno when a Colwyn Bay Scrum won the ball close to the line to spin to the unopposed right winger to score after just 5 minutes. The game was still there for the taking and Llandudno spent long periods putting Colwyn Bay to the cosh. Credit to Colwyn Bay however, their defence stood firm.

As the game was reaching it’s conclusion the Bay struck the final hammer blow, breaking out for an unconverted try on 78 minutes, finalising the scoring on 27-12; a score which very much flattered Colwyn Bay.

05/04/08 Dolgellau 15-37

The 1st XV made it two on the trot this weekend following up on last weeks 22-7 victory over Llanidloes with a rare 15-37 win at Dolgellau.

The town started strongly posting their intentions after just 4 minutes when Lloyd Griffith entered the line to go over in the corner, establishing an early 5 point lead. Dol however responded well putting Llandudno under pressure, but the Town’s defence held firm, a feature of recent performances, and restricted Dol to just a penalty for about twenty minutes dominance. Dol became increasingly frustrated and were penalised for handling on the floor, and were punished by a Rhodri Carlton-Jones penalty on 37 minutes to give Llandudno a 3-8 half time lead.

Llandudno failed to capitalise on the helpful breeze in the first part of the second half seeing the Dol open side cross to give them a 10-8 lead. James alt then scored a classic “show and go” try from the half way line converted by Rhodri Carlton-Jones to re-establish Llandudno lead at 10-15. Dol were not prepared to lie down though, benefitting from an interception to restore parity at 15-15 on 55 minutes. Llandudno were to have the last laugh however.

Rhodri Carlton-Jones broke the Dol defence from halfway “like smoke through a keyhole” for a try which he also converted. Rhodri scored a second 13 minutes later when he was on hand to accept the pass from the excellent James Salt. Llandudno were now looking comfortable leading 15-29 with 10 minutes to go. On 64 minutes Gaz Coy finished the try scoring with another 50 metre run shattering what was left of Dolgellau’s resistance. 3 minutes later the scoring was concluded by a Rhodri Carlton-Jones penalty on 67 minutes.

12/04/08 Llandudno 24-17 Bala

The 1st XV made it three on the trot for the first time this season, managing to hold of a spirited fight back from Bala, who had found themselves down by 24 points at half time, to win 24-17.

The proceedings were opened by the reliable Rhodri Carlton-Jones who slotted a penalty after only 10 minutes. Gaz Coy was next on the score sheet when he broke the midfield defence to touch down from 10 metres. Rhodri once again stepped up to the mark to convert a 10-0 lead on 17 minutes.

On 30 minutes the energetic Danny Barlow brushed aside his opposite number, smashing the defence to score under the posts. Rhodri was once again on hand to convert. 17-0.

On 42 minutes the enterprising man of the match James Salt chipped through, not usually a skill ascribed to number eight forwards, to give James “Chin” Gregson the opportunity to show his pace: winning a footrace with the Bala defence to touch down, offering Rhodri yet another opportunity to grab 2 points, which he dispatched with ease.

So 24 – 0 at half time. Game won, or so the Llandudno crowd mistakenly thought.

Bala opened their account after only one minute of the second half with a penalty conceded by a surprised and desperate Llandudno defence. Bala continued to turn the screw, which ultimately led to Rhodri Carlton-Jones, on 52 minutes having a ten minute enforced rest, when forced into a professional try saving foul tackle.

Bala scored another converted try on 70 minutes and would have scored at least a couple more if it were not for the dogged defence of the Llandudno pack, Tom Roberts in particular.

Inevitably the Llandudno timbers buckled under the onslaught once more on 79 minutes when another converted try led to a nail biting last 5 minutes or so, Llandudno eventually running out 24-17 winners.

16/04/08 Llandudno 18-27 Nant Conwy

The “valley boys” started like a house on fire on their visit to Maesdu Rd on Wednesday and threatened to brush Llandudno aside in the first 10 minutes or so. They scored after just 7 minutes, running a quick penalty to secure a 0-7 lead with a converted try

Llandudno, though, responded to the challenge and pressed hard to reply with a Rhodri Carlton-Jones drop goal 3 minutes later to pull back the deficit to 3-7. Unfortunately, Llandudno missed 2 more penalties squandering the opportunity to move ahead before Nant went further into the ascendency scoring an unconverted try to lead 3-12 at half time.

Llandudno really got the bit between their teeth at this stage, putting the Nant team to the cosh. A successful line out saw Rhodri Carlton-Jones scampering over for a try which he also converted on 41 minutes. 3 yellow cards within 15 minutes just after half time, for the boys from the valley showed the level of pressure Llandudno were putting on them. The desperate Nant tactic of persistent infringement to defend the line should have led to 1 red card at least, but the referee saw things differently. The crowd were also bemused to see the referee invite the final yellow carded player onto the field only to find he had already taken it upon himself to rejoin the fray some 5 minutes earlier! The sanction? Nothing!

Llandudno took the lead during this period, when Rhodri slotted another penalty to push the town ahead at 13-12.

James Salt then scored from a driven line out to stretch Llandudno’s lead to 18-12 on 52 minutes.

Nant however responded vigorously securing 2 tries and a penalty as the clock ticked down to turn things around for a final score of 18-27.

19/04/018 Ruthin 12-13 Llandudno

After such a vigorous encounter midweek, the travelling supporters didn’t expect too much at Ruthin yesterday, but were pleasantly surprised. The 1sts stood their ground magnificently under some severe early pressure, gradually stemming the tide to see Rhodri Carlton-Jones establish an early 0-3 lead from a penalty for handling on the floor. A yellow card and penalty try should have been awarded 2 minutes later when Gaz Coy fractured the Ruthin defence only to see his tackler smother the ball as he tried to pop it up to the supporting players. The referee gave the penalty but nothing more!

Ruthin accepted the referee’s kindness and a well worked move saw the Number 8 joining the line to cross for a converted try, 7-3.

A further “Jonny Evs” try saw them increase their lead to 12-3 at half time.

The Dudno boys were not for lying down though. Desperate Ruthin defence gave Rhodri the opportunity to pull back the deficit to 12-6.

As the clock ran down the Ruthin defence was looking unbreachable. On 79 minutes Rhodri, most delicately, chipped the ball to the corner for Steve Lester to win the footrace to pull the town back to 12-11. There was then only the matter of a touchline conversion to secure a famous victory over the club that had eclipsed Colwyn Bay at home the week before. Step up Rhodri Carlton-Jones. The outcome------predictable! 12-13.

James Salt’s endeavours over the last few weeks have been rewarded by a call up to the North Wales squad. Well done “Saltie”.

26/04/08 Caernarfon 60-10 Llandudno

Llandudno were defeated yesterday as the substantial Caernarfon pack proved too hard to handle in their quest to seal the North Wales Championship, on home soil.

However the Llandudno team that faced them up were a shadow of the side that beat Ruthin a week earlier, with ten changes due to injury and work commitments, particular mention should be given to Dave Lammercraft and Ed Burke who were drafted in to the 2nd row as very late replacements. Also Tom Hocknell at scrum half picked up his first 1st team cap acquitting himself very well in the face of adversity. Rhodri Carlton-Jones scored all Llandudno points by a penalty, conversion and a try when he was on hand to finish off a great break in the centre, made by James Gregson.

The last two fixtures to be played are the two re-arranged fixtures Tuesday 29th April at home to Ruthin 6.30p.m kick off and the final league fixture at Bala on Saturday 3rd May.